Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Moderators: tonyflexx, Laidback Luke, Rasta Eddy

Re: Production skills, tips, tricks and techniques

Postby cooljay » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am

Hello Guys, i am new to this forum but have heard many great things about it. i am a newbie in production but im going to give it my best and ill be here a lot :)

now i have a question, one of my favorite tracks from Luke is his remix of Wynter Gordon - Dirty Talk , and ive been trying to mimic the massive drop sound he used but ive had no luck, i want to know which synth he used and how can i get that sound? please and thanks.

if youre wondering whic sound it s here is the track and its around 1:07 the drop.

http://youtu.be/os9R_8--mn8
cooljay

Postby WhiteLabel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Does anyone recommend the piano in this track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdU2RGvCUwk

Its not nexus or M1,

could it be Kontakt or Ivory? Please let me know if you recognise it :)
WhiteLabel

Postby KristianMoll » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Anyone have some advice on recreating the leadsynth in Eric Prydz - Pjaano? i use sylenth1 btw :D
KristianMoll

Postby alvarogc » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 pm

WhiteLabel wrote:Does anyone recommend the piano in this track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdU2RGvCUwk

Its not nexus or M1,

could it be Kontakt or Ivory? Please let me know if you recognise it :)

Did you tryed the Nexus Piano Dancepiano 2k7 :?:
alvarogc

Postby dyro » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:06 am

Can someone recommand me a VSTi for real sounding quality electric guitar sounds?

thanks a lot guys!
dyro

Postby alexflood » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 am

dyro wrote:Can someone recommand me a VSTi for real sounding quality electric guitar sounds?

thanks a lot guys!

Have a look at Slayer 2 by Refx.

http://refx.com/products/slayer2/summary/

I have used it for years. You can make any guitar sound possible. Also has an arpeggiator which is cool.

AleXx
alexflood

Postby Dannyrez123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Yo read through the whole thing when u say you need headroom how do you mean do you turn down channel fader? or in arrangment view in ableton do you make sure volume like -10 or whatever headroom you want? bit of stupid q just wanna make sure im right lol

im gunan get dt 990 open back headphones i know you need an amp dont have soundcard atm will this affect the sound? thanks!
Dannyrez123

Postby austinrobles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Does anyone have any tips on pads/strings and making them sound nice and stereo??? I got a nice tip a couple dayus ago and was told to duplicate the track and pitch it an octave higher then panning them....seemed to work, but was wondering if you guys had any other tips or tricks.......I feel like my tracks always seem so muddied up and dont have the stereo feel to them.... :(
austinrobles

Postby alexflood » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm

austinrobles wrote:Does anyone have any tips on pads/strings and making them sound nice and stereo??? I got a nice tip a couple dayus ago and was told to duplicate the track and pitch it an octave higher then panning them....seemed to work, but was wondering if you guys had any other tips or tricks.......I feel like my tracks always seem so muddied up and dont have the stereo feel to them.... :(

Hey,

Try a stereo spreader. I use the one one Logic. Works great and makes pads and strings HUGE. Only spread the upper frequencies though.

Hope that helped,

AleXx
alexflood

Postby tjmidge » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm

alexflood wrote:
austinrobles wrote:Does anyone have any tips on pads/strings and making them sound nice and stereo??? I got a nice tip a couple dayus ago and was told to duplicate the track and pitch it an octave higher then panning them....seemed to work, but was wondering if you guys had any other tips or tricks.......I feel like my tracks always seem so muddied up and dont have the stereo feel to them.... :(

Hey,

Try a stereo spreader. I use the one one Logic. Works great and makes pads and strings HUGE. Only spread the upper frequencies though.

Hope that helped,

AleXx

you can also use chorus or phasers to enhance the stereo image! put it at a slow rate so it washes nicely from side to side! you generally find phasers or chorus normally has a 'stereo enhance' presets
tjmidge

Postby tjmidge » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Dannyrez123 wrote:Yo read through the whole thing when u say you need headroom how do you mean do you turn down channel fader? or in arrangment view in ableton do you make sure volume like -10 or whatever headroom you want? bit of stupid q just wanna make sure im right lol

im gunan get dt 990 open back headphones i know you need an amp dont have soundcard atm will this affect the sound? thanks!

leaving headroom is for mastering purposes....if theres little to no headroom then its gonna be difficult to get a quality master on your track. generally speaking in EDM (for me anyway) i want my kick to be loudest so i generally make that peak around -8db or -6db sometimes then mix everything around that so for example i may have the bass at -10db or there abouts. that means you have sufficient amount of headroom for mastering beacuse if ur pre mastered track is peaking at say -2 or -1db then there is only a couple db's headroom to work with and your only going to get a mediocre master.
tjmidge

Postby Zakii » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:18 am

Do you guys generally use distortion/bitcrushing before or after compression, say on percussion elements?
Zakii

Postby supracg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:42 am

Zakii wrote:Do you guys generally use distortion/bitcrushing before or after compression, say on percussion elements?

I think I'd compress it to get it as loud as possible first, then distort the compressed signal
supracg

Postby DFRKZ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 am

try both, pick the best one
DFRKZ

Postby Dannyrez123 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 am

Cheers i get ya! gunna read through the pages again! fun fun fun lol!
Dannyrez123

PreviousNext

Return to Music