Laidback Luke's QnA's

Moderators: tonyflexx, Laidback Luke, Rasta Eddy

Re: Editing a Mix

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Rasta Eddy wrote:
austinrobles wrote:Hey!! Just a quick question! May sound dumb but im new to this.....My question is to do about editing a mix...Is there any editing done on Lbls mixes before he sends them out to club fg?? Not just his specifically but any other mixes you hear on the radio or are able to download....Whenever i download the club fg mixes, bbc1 essential mixes, etc they all sound so perfect...Like the Songs eqing all sounds the same and glued together perfectly. Is it just because their so damn goood and do everything so smoothly or is there some editing done in there?? Thanks in advance!

There must be some kind of eq-ing involved when they broadcast things, but I don't think Luke records his sets different or edits it just because it's ment for radio airplay/internet streaming. I think he's just can mix that good live.

Luke?

Yes, what Eddy says matters too. The glueing is me and my 15 years of DJ experience : )
I just record every set live on my decks. So I just press 'record' and mix for an hour, that's it!
Laidback Luke

Re: Editing a Mix

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Laidback Luke wrote:
Rasta Eddy wrote:
austinrobles wrote:Hey!! Just a quick question! May sound dumb but im new to this.....My question is to do about editing a mix...Is there any editing done on Lbls mixes before he sends them out to club fg?? Not just his specifically but any other mixes you hear on the radio or are able to download....Whenever i download the club fg mixes, bbc1 essential mixes, etc they all sound so perfect...Like the Songs eqing all sounds the same and glued together perfectly. Is it just because their so damn goood and do everything so smoothly or is there some editing done in there?? Thanks in advance!

There must be some kind of eq-ing involved when they broadcast things, but I don't think Luke records his sets different or edits it just because it's ment for radio airplay/internet streaming. I think he's just can mix that good live.

Luke?

Yes, what Eddy says matters too. The glueing is me and my 15 years of DJ experience : )
I just record every set live on my decks. So I just press 'record' and mix for an hour, that's it!

Google on Youtube for 'Laidback Luke DJSounds' and you will see me doing it live.
Nothing prepared at all! I just came from a holiday too lol. But it's just me having fun on the decks!
Laidback Luke

Re: Laidback Luke's QnA's

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 pm

mahesh2012 wrote:hey Luke,

Not asking any questions, but been lurking around your forums for a while now, and just noticed this thread.. It amazes me that you still take some time to answer to QnA's from your fans and that too on a frequent basis, and on top of that helping out budding producers and giving feedback... Seriously hats off to you...

I've been your fan ever since I heard/"discovered" you in 2008...Love your tracks, but more than that your sets.. Very energetic, dynamic, and creative.. Your sets has inspired me a lot for my own sets...

One of my goals is to at least open up/warm up for your set sometime in the future...

Best Regards from Indonesia,

Sagar Samtani (Late Nights)

Amazing to hear, thank you!
Laidback Luke

Re: Any Pacha NYC dates coming up soon???

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:46 pm

lorenzo0526 wrote:Laidback Luke, i've been a fan of your music for years now. It's great to see that you're finally recognized by your talent globally my dude! Especially you being half-filipino, there aren't many filipino house djs out there so, i'm proud! And i haven't gotten a chance to see you do a set live. Just wondering if you're gonna be around the NYC area sometime this summer or soon? keep making that hard house bro!

Thanks! Please keep an eye on my DJ Dates on www.laidbackluke.com or download my app.
I'll be in NY again on July 3rd!
Laidback Luke

Re: Luke, how you organise your cd case?

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 pm

EugeniAguilar wrote:Hi Luke!

I've seen your cd cases in some pictures of your gigs, and I would like to know, if possible :) , how do you organise them:

-burn audio cds or mp3 ?
-in case of audio, more than one track in a disc ?
-info about the content of the cd : in paper, in the same cd, info about the track (ie: key, bpm, genere ?)
-etc :)

Thanks a lot!!!

Greetings from Spain!

I DJ with the Pioneer CDJ2000 so I only use 1 SD card (64GB)
Laidback Luke

Re: LBL interviews

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Garebear wrote:Hi Laidback Luke, I was wondering if you would be interested in having an interview and possibly play a mix on http://www.BounFM.com sometime in the future? Last month we had half a million viewers and they would love to hear from you :)

Please contact my management for this: info@unmanageableartists.com thanks!
Laidback Luke

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:55 pm

3LAU wrote:First off, It's amazing you still take the time to help us newbies out.

Second of all. There are so many different strengths and weaknesses of producers from arrangement to synth programming to final mix/master. At this point I feel like mine has been getting the synths I program to sound less cheesy, and perfecting their relationship with the kick both bass and lead. Would you say Eqing and sidechaining are the primary tools for that perfection? Does a lot of the sound depend on the plugins on the bus channel? How would you recommend exploring the techniques to perfect both synths and the relationship they hold with the kick, and what resources are available that you know of. Thanks for recommending your forum, I look forward to spending my summer as an active user (and maybe one day end up like avicii, hahaha!)

Thanks for your question. You know what? It's all about being able to make what is in your head.
My main key to making tracks really fast is I often go into the studio knowing what the tracks
sounds like in my head already.

Obviously, I know a ton of ways to tweak synths so they sounds how I want. EQing and sidechain can be
a big roll in it yes, but chorus, layering, tweaking the parameters of the synth will help too.

I always produce tracks in mono first so I can really put every sound in it's own frequency spectrum.
I often say all sounds should comlement eachother like a puzzle.

Another thing is keeping fresh ears. So I do sessions of two hours and deliberitaly take a half hour
break. I work on low volume too. To keep my mind clear and my ears new!

About the term 'cheesy', don't worry about that. 'Cheesy' is just a perception and it differs to
any single person. Don't get caught in the 'being cool' trap as it will diminish your creativity!
You should always be able to be as creative as you want.
Laidback Luke

Postby Laidback Luke » Thu May 12, 2011 7:56 pm

DM13 wrote:Hey Luke, what's up?
Got a question for you.
It's been a long time since Leave The World Behind came out, two years, and since then, you haven't done any collaboration with the Swedish House Mafia guys.
I was wondering when, if ever, are you going to make another collaboration with them. I mean, Leave The World Behind is the best dance song I've heard in my life, it's just excelent. But since then, SHM have released two great songs (the Instrumental versions, the vocal ones are so crappy they make me wanna cry...), and you have released excelent songs too, I mean, I still can't get Till Tonight out of my head, and I bought it the day it got out...
But I feel like the world is needing a new LTWB.
So, is this ever going to happen?
Please say yes to this... :)

It's not gonna happen sorry. We are done working together.
There will be many more collabs with many different people to
look forward to!
Laidback Luke

Postby DM13 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Laidback Luke wrote:
DM13 wrote:Hey Luke, what's up?
Got a question for you.
It's been a long time since Leave The World Behind came out, two years, and since then, you haven't done any collaboration with the Swedish House Mafia guys.
I was wondering when, if ever, are you going to make another collaboration with them. I mean, Leave The World Behind is the best dance song I've heard in my life, it's just excelent. But since then, SHM have released two great songs (the Instrumental versions, the vocal ones are so crappy they make me wanna cry...), and you have released excelent songs too, I mean, I still can't get Till Tonight out of my head, and I bought it the day it got out...
But I feel like the world is needing a new LTWB.
So, is this ever going to happen?
Please say yes to this... :)

It's not gonna happen sorry. We are done working together.
There will be many more collabs with many different people to
look forward to!

Now that are sad news, you should at least try a new collab, with Axwell especially.
Hum, I'm looking forward to see who you're collab'ing with. Dirty South? Eric Pridz? Robbie Rivera? Let's see...
Also, you were going to release an album, but I read somewhere you decided not to release anymore. But you're still releasing the tracks right? I mean, I need new LBL music to listen to!
Last edited by DM13 on Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM13

starting out

Postby elliot » Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 am

hey Luke im 15 and i wanna get into producing music like yours. were can i start? iv just saved up for a macbook so i can use logic 9 is that a good place to start? please help
elliot

Postby frontrowcoachella! » Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 am

COACHELLA!! :] you made that event for me haha. front row.. girl screaming the whole time. i feel like we made eyecontact ALOT haha... i know this is a super longshot. but can you email me.. laurengossland@gmail.com.. i wanna show you a pic of the sign i held up to you but i dont know how to use this forum hahah :] even if you dont email me. laidbackluke.. i love you. stay smiling. i WILL be seeing you again. haha
frontrowcoachella!

Postby Roberto Winny » Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi Luke

I have two question:

- Where can I send promo tracks to you what is safe that you get? Please read an email address in PM. (what I got from you with some years ago not working for me.)
- There is a thing what I would like to talk over with you and you can answer only and I would not like to write it onto the forum publicly.Unfortunately since I sent our Back and Forth remix to you and you answered , I write anything an answer does not arrive.:( Can I make contact with you somehow? (We can speak personally than last year when you come again here in Cafe del Rio)

Thank you for your response in advance.

Best

Winny
Roberto Winny

Postby tlg » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Mr luke
I would know if you really use The Sausage :D Fattener plugin or its just to made ads !? If yes, you put it just in master channel ?
thx a lot !
tlg

in-ears limiter volume ?

Postby Alviin » Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 am

Hi everybody,

I noticed that Laidback use a little box who plugs on the headphones output.
I think it's something like a limiter to control volume ... etc
I'm gonna receive my in-ears monitor soon and I would like that someone explain me this and if possible to know the brand of this limiter.

Thank you
Alviin

Re: in-ears limiter volume ?

Postby Alviin » Sun May 29, 2011 4:16 am

Please guys help me, here's the box of Luke: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/86 ... devue.png/
Alviin

PreviousNext

Return to General